Every day terabytes of user generated data is being produced on different social media channels. Social media is transcending the boundaries of traditional media and has impact on every discipline. Unfortunately or fortunately, People rely more on social media news rather than tradition news channels, which are seen as more of media channel houses of big corporate houses. Centre for social media and digital research is a multi and interdisciplinary research center focusing on its impact on different stakeholders such as business, government, NGOs and citizens. Main USP of JGU is multi-inter-disciplinary research which allows researcher from different discipline such as IT, Marketing, Organization behavior, public policy, politics, international affairs, journalism, liberal arts, law to be part of this research center and study it from different aspects.
Following are the key objectives and activities of the center:
- Research center will focus on
- Knowledge creation specific to Social and Digital Media- Social and digital media specific research recorded astronomical growth in recent times; however, there are certain areas like
- Platform specific studies
- Measure influence of distinct forms of media formats on consumer and business markets
- Use innovative digital initiatives for enhancing social media networks
- How to build strong online communities and social networks
- Reputation analysis of information available on social network during crisis such as earthquake , floods, tsunami, attacks
- Social network analysis for national security
- Political analysis using social media
- How social media leads to new social , economic and political formal and informal organizations
- Tools and technologies for social media analytics
- Knowledge dissemination: This center also pursues spread of the knowledge created through consulting, training sessions, practitioner talks, conferences, workshops and seminars to facilitate the exchange of ideas, scholarship, and managerial practices.
The research center will be organizing various activities around the year including practitioner talks, national and international conferences, workshops, seminars, management development programs, etc. This center aims to create a forum where various stakeholders i.e. researchers, educators, practitioners, etc. can engage actively and learn from each other on various facets of social and digital media platforms, efficient utilization of its unique features to increased benefits. We hope that all these activities at the center for research on social and digital media research result in publications such as journal articles, working papers, book chapters, and conference proceedings.